Edward Cecil Guinness
Around 1880, Arthur Edward Guinness was raised to the peerage as Baron
Ardilaun, and sold of his share in the family brewery to his brother Edward.
In 1886 Edward launched the brewery as a public company, in which he remained
the largest shareholder.
His contributions to hospitals and housing were immense.
Edward was created a baronet in 1885, and in 1891 was raised to the
peerage as Baron Iveagh.
Guinness boss, the Earl of Iveagh (1847-1927),
gave each of his three sons £5,000,000 in cash (Over £100,000,000 in today's
money) as a wedding present.
Edward Cecil GUINNESS was born 10 Nov
1847. He died 7 Oct 1927. Edward married Adelaide Maria GUINNESS on 20 May
Adelaide Maria GUINNESS died 16 Feb 1916. She married Edward Cecil
GUINNESS on 20 May 1873.
They had the following children:
Rupert Edward Cecil Lee GUINNESS was born 29 Mar 1874.
Arthur Ernest GUINNESS JP was born
2 Nov 1876 and died 1949.
Walter Edward GUINNESS was born 29 Mar 1880 and died 6 Nov 1944.
Nov 1847, St Anne’s, Clontarf, Co. Dublin
First earl of
Iveagh, he was educated at TCD. The family business was formed into a public
company in 1886 and he became chairman; applications for shares exceeded
£100 million in a heavy oversubscription. His benefactions to his native
city ran into hundreds of thousands of pounds, devoted chiefly to hospitals
and housing for the poor. After 1900 he lived mainly in England. Died
London, 7 October 1927, leaving an estate estimated at £11 million.
The Elveden Estate
Elveden Eriswell Icklingham
A brief outline of the development of Elveden Estate during the ownership
of the Guinness family 1894 - to the present day.
The First Earl of Iveagh, Edward Cecil Guinness, purchased the Elveden
Estate from the Executors of Maharajah Duleep Singh in 1894. Lord Iveagh's
main interest was in the Shooting and Elveden was reputed to be one of the
best Sporting Estates in the country. Throughout the Edwardian period the fame of the Elveden Shoot became
widespread. Many notable people came to Elveden to enjoy the shooting and
the Earl's hospitality, among them Edward, Prince of Wales, later to become
King Edward V11, and his illustrious friends, all conveyed by carriages and
later cars, from Thetford Station, together with their personal servants,
and a huge quantity of trunks and boxes.
Iveagh increased the number of people employed, building
new cottages to house the expanding population. New roads were laid and a
brick-works established in which the distinctively stamped 'Elveden' red- bricks
were made; a light railway was constructed to facilitate the movement of the
bricks and equipment to the various building sites. Lord Iveagh more than
doubled the size of the Hall; a wing was built to match the existing hall
and the two were joined, centrally, by an imposing copper-domed edifice. An
impressive servants' quarters was built and connected to the Hall's eastern
end. A branch railway line linking Barnham Station to Elveden was
established - so that a locomotive and trucks could transport materials,
including marble and stone, to where it would be needed for the construction
of the Hall.
In 1914 with the onset of the Great War it was realised that Britain had
to try and feed herself, extra acreage was brought into cultivation to help
the war effort. The Game Department was disbanded
during this period but Tom Turner, who had become the Head Gamekeeper in
1916, continued after the war to rebuild the stocks and good bags were soon,
once again, the order of the day. King George V, a fine shot, was a frequent
visitor to Elveden, both before and after his accession, his son Albert,
Duke of York, later to become King George V1, also shot here. As well as providing sport the shooting of rabbits and game supplied a
considerable amount of food and helped to keep vermin under control.
Edward Cecil founded and endowed the Chadacre Agricultural Institute in
1921. This was one of England's first agricultural institutes and its
purpose was to provide agricultural education to the sons of farm labourers,
small holders and farmers in Suffolk and surrounding counties. The First Earl was a great philanthropist, amongst his many gifts was
included a large sum for scientific research and another to the Jenner
Institute of Medicine. He also gave his Kenwood House and the priceless
collection of paintings it contained to the nation.
Deepwell Situated in the south Dublin suburb of Blackrock on Rock
The house, originally called Fairy Hill, was built on
this site in 1810. Re-named Deepwell it was "substantially renovated" in
1840. It stands on a 1.2ha site overlooking Dublin Bay with Howth Head on
the skyline. In 1842 a lease of the lands at Deepwell was awarded by the
Hon. Sydney Herbert to Richard Samuel Guinness Esq. who occupied the house
for some years. His daughter Adelaide married her cousin the 1st Earl of
Iveagh in 1873. The house was acquired in 1942 by the present owners.